Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning genitals

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Burning genitals

Hi, here is my story.  I'm 36 years old, caucasian male. While in China, almost 3wks ago, I had unprotected sex with a woman I didn't know.
After day 1 I have been feeling burning and warm rash feelings in the genitals.  Plus, flu like symptoms for 7 straight days.  I also had a blister on my rectum after day 5 for which I was prescribed Valtrex and an antibiotic, Cravit.  After 10 days it went away.  One doctor in Indo said it could be herpes, a Urologist in Germany said it looks more like hemmorhoids.  No blood tests were performed and won't until 4 weeks after.
So, now, after 20 days, the blister is gone, but I still have genital discomfort and redness around the scrotum and base of the penis, as well as in the creases of the thigh.  It feels better in the shower, but all day in pants is uncomfortable.
I also see small white dots on my scrotum and penis base.  not poppable, or painful.  And only when the skin is stretched.  Maybe normal, I don't know.  Can this be Herpes, or just a bacterial infection?  Maybe just Ecsema (eczema), or jock itch?  I can't get any docter to tell me for sure.
Sorry for the vague e-mail, but the site wouldn't let me post more words.  Probably for good reason.
I am confused at the different opinions, can you help me make sense of this?
The burning 1 day after sex does not sound like herpes (too soon, wrong symptom).  I can't comment on the rectal blister.  If it was herpes, then a herpes 2 blood test should be positive in 8-10 weeks.  I doubt it was herpes, but you'll have to wait for the test results for complete reassurance.  The wite spots on the scrotum are most likely cysts that are norma and that you're noticing now because you're anxious.  The burning sensation is very likely from anxiety too.

My advice is to see a dermatologist or STD specialist when you can, so you can sort all these things out.  But I'd be surprised if at this point you have anything at all.

Also, avoid unprotected sex,

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Everyone has white spot on their scrotum and base of penis when the skin is stretched. If you look carefully you will see that they form the base of each strand of hair. You are looking at the sebaceous gland and hair follicle of your skin. I wondered about this too. The give away is the regular pattern and the fact that there are lots of them. It gives a "chicken" skin appearance on close inspection. Interesting eh?

Also, from my understanding, initial herpes would not be on your rectum (unless you had receptive anal intercourse - which you clearly did'nt).
Thanks to you both for your comments.  Well, I am back from a Holiday and able to add to the drama.  The day after I posted the original story above, I started to get more burning sensation in the scrotum.  Also, it traveled to the anus and between the butt cheeks.  So, bad, that I was in considerable pain all weekend when I walked or sat.  Except for at night an in the mornings. Including feverish, aches, tired, etc.  I felt something had to be wrong.  When I returned home on Tuesday, I checked and thought I saw swelling welts (like hives), and lesions.  I went directly to the doctor, and of course, my symptoms were gone when I arrived.  She saw nothing unusual with my genitals or anus.  No lesions, no rash, no signs of anything, nothing.  It seems my mind must be playing tricks on me.  But then, why today as I sit here, my scrotum is burning again.  The pain has stopped in the anus/butt area.  Could I have jock itch, or some sort of dermatitis, fungal infection?  I also know I have Ecsema (eczema) because my legs, hips, waist, sides, all itch at various times throughout the winters.  Plus, I am living in a new country and new climate.  Could that also be in my genitals?  I've never had it there before.
A related discussion, worried was started.