Burning lips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Burning lips

I am a 20 year old male. For the past week and a half my lips have had a weird burning sensation.  This sensation occurs mainly on the upper lip (from about the center to the corner), and left corner where the lip and skin meet. There is slight redness and slight inflammation were the skin meets my lips. It looks a little raised. Overall my bottom lip seems to peel a little more than normal.

I am not sure if it is coincidence or not but I used some blistex chapstick on the day the symptoms first occurred. The top of my lip started to itch a little and I removed the chapstick. It was then that the burning sensation occurred.  I took a bynedryl after my lips started to itch (it did nothing).I have been on 10mg of Zyrtec for indoor and outdoor allergies for a few months now and kept taking that (no effect). The burning is not as bad as it was but it is still there along with the redness. A couple a months ago I experienced this (but not nearly as bad) using chapstick but I was unsure if it was the blistex or the regular chapstick since i use them both a lot.

I wanted to know if this is a normal allergic reaction to chapstick or if it could be something else. If it is an allergic reaction, is this common? And is it normal for it still affect me a week and a half later?