Dermatology Expert Forum
Burning rash on scrotum.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Burning rash on scrotum.

I was under antibiotic treatment for four months due to chronic prostatitis ending in January, and again went through another round of antibiotics in February.  In February I shaved my scrotum and noticed at the time what I thought was "razor burn" from the area.  Gradually the burning and irritation got worse and a red rash covered a portion of my scrotum.  Most promitently on the right testicle area.  I went to my primary doc who thought it was an irritation and gave me beta-val cream and told me to put it on three times a day.  The next week I was at my urologist for a checkup on the prostatitis (which is now gone) and he said it was very red down there and raw.  He prescribed lotrisol cream and keflex (but I could not take the keflex it as I am allergic).  I have been using the lotrisol cream, and yes the pain and burning has diminished but the redness is still there (the betamethasone in the lotrisol is probably helping the burning issue).  Since the redness is stil there, and it does somewhat still burn I am going to see my demotologist.  The question, do I continue to use the lotrisol or just use the beta-val cream itself, and is this fungal in nature or just an irritation that got out of control?

I think you shouldn't use anything medicated until you see the dermatologist.  After any sort of irritation or inflammation, the scrotum can look fiery red for a long time.  Continued use of medicated cream, especially cortisone-containing ones, can make the redness last longer.  Chances are, the dermatologist will tell you to just wait it out.  It's unlikely to be anything serious.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Sorry I mean to say lotrisone cream.  Sorry...did not have my coffee yet.
One other piece of information.  I have been using the lotrisone cream for two weeks.
Will do....thank you doctor.
Doctor -

You were right on the mark.  My demotologist looked at the area and immediately said that the creams were in fact causing more irritation and I developed an allergic reaction to the Lotrisone.  He told me stop it immediately, and he put me on Locoid cream and said everything will be ok in 10 days.