Burning sensation - groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Burning sensation - groin area

Currently I'm experiencing a burning sensation on one side of my groin near the area where my leg meets my groin, and frequently radiates upwards into my groin.  On inspection there's no noticable redness or rash or blistering, just a burning sensation.  It isn't itchy at all.  Funny enough, putting my hand on it "cools" the burn.  I have been using hydrocortisone to self treat, but it hasn't helped yet.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be?  Let's say it's HSV, will it develop a blister at some point soon, or can/does HSV cause burning without any visible signs?  I'm not convinced it's a fungus, although I am active and frequently sweat in the groin, again there's no readness associated (yet) with the irritated area.

Thanks.
Maybe it's a vein that has widened and the blood that accumulates there is causing the sensation, maybe you have started using a different powder for washing your underwear, maybe you touched the skin after you held something spicey like hot peppers (happened to me once), which leads to the question: how long did you had this burning sensation?  

All I can say for now is do not use hydrocortisone for self treating!!! Medicines without proper identification of causes do nothing or worse they give side effects. I have been  unfortunate to have developed side effects from corticosteroid drugs topically applied and would highly advise against using any corticosteroids for whatever reason - there are perfect herbal substitutes anyway.

Please keep us posted
Cheers
This kind of burning sensation without any redness or rash can be due to contact dermatitis, diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidismThey can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the tingling is gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then please consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for the responses.

In my line of work, I undergo regular detailed physicals complete with blood work.  I'm a normal healthy individual, so I'm not too overly worried about this being anything more than a burning from friction.  Having said that, about 3 weeks ago I had protected sex with an unknown woman I met at a bar, and I'm worried I'd picked up HSV II from her thanks to skin/skin contact in the groin area.  Although I'm not a worrier by nature, I'm turning into a hypocondriac when it comes to my groin, and I tend to dwell on things like the burning, making me think I'm making it worse by thinking of it.  As luck would have it, there are some areas that I'm sure are folliculitis due to them being at or near hair roots, not being painful to the touch, and presenting themselves as solid red bumps or developing a white head.  At that though, it is somewhat weird in that I haven't shaved the area in some time.

Anyway, I'm taking the wait and see approach.  I'll keep everyone informed.
Thanks.