Burst Sebaceous Cyst

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Burst Sebaceous Cyst

I had a very large sebaceous cyst on my left shoulder for quite some time.  It was going to be removed at the beginning of the summer but I found out that the stiches would take about 2 weeks to heal and I didn't want it to get in the way of my golf game :)

Anyway, about two weeks ago while I was carrying my golf bag, I felt the cyst pop under the skin and the large bump immediately went down.  For the last two weeks there has been a small amount of leakage of blood and white stuff.  Up until this morning when after a hot shower the cyst just started pussing out.  I squeezed it and an amazingly large amount of the white protein came out along with some pink blood/puss.   I squeezed out the majority of the white stuff but it continues to puss a little bit.  Each time I think it is gone, I check back in an hour and there is more puss/blood.

My question is, do you think that it will eventually stop oozing out?  There is absolutely no pain, i am just worried about it ruinning all my shirts, as it is a lot of leakage even with gauze on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but since it is discharging, surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.