Callouses on knuckles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Callouses on knuckles

I used to have a serious condition picking at my knuckles and now my skin on my thumb has turned into a hard calloused lump...the creases on my knuckle is gone and it is very thick and looks ugly. For example it kind of looks like this picture in this link.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Dermatillomania_fingers.JPG/450px-Dermatillomania_fingers.JPG

I am able to stop this bad habit but I am more concerned with how to fix this deformation. Whenever I look at it, it makes me sad to know that I will always have this pad on my thumb that others can see. Is there any surgery, ointment that can be done to at least make it smaller and less dramatic and visible? Is plastic surgery an option? Thanks.
Tags: knuckle, lump, Skin

Unfortunately the pictures of calluses could not be downloaded. For calluses of hand,pls apply lots of moisturing lotion and vit E on the hands. Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften calluses.Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.

If still the calluses persist,then pls go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.

Hope it helps .Take care and pls do keep us posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I couldn't even believe when I read it!
I'm really worried about how could be possible to bring back the creases on my knuckles. Have you already discovered how to solve your problem?
Same exact thing, and very seemingly rare, too... If you guys figure that out you should definitely post it.
Anyone yet?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers