Calluses

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Calluses

What's a good products to use for calluses?
Do you want to take them off, or not have them in the first place? The first solution is temporary, the second is permanent. I can advise on the latter.

Throughout my adult life I developed nasty calluses on my feet which only got worse with time. My feet were an ugly sight, the heels gray and cracked. A couple of years ago I noticed that the calluses were gone and my feet were baby soft. What happened?

So I thought back on all the things I had done and came up with the answer. Some years ago I decided to add trace minerals to my drinking water, at the rate of one tablespoon per gallon. (I have a filter on my faucet to get rid of chlorine etc. I fill gallon jugs and keep them in the refrigerator.) This seemed easier than taking pills. I also added 16 drops of BioSil (a bioavailable form of silicon).

About six months after I started this regime I noticed that the only liver spot I had disappeared. I did not connect this to the water treatment. Then I noticed that my feet were looking better and I didn't have to pare them so often. I finally made a connection to the minerals when the serious case of varicose veins (a sack of stagnant purple blood on each ankle) gradually disappeared.

I don't know if it was the trace minerals or the BioSil that got rid of the calluses and I really don't care. But I did up the BioSil and that is when my feet totally recovered. The mineral treatment works, but you have to be patient. It takes a long time. So pare back the calluses and add the minerals.
A callus is an especially toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard as a response to repeated contact or pressure.
Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften calluses. Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.
If still the lumps persist, then you can go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.