Dermatology Expert Forum
Can Herpes scar that bad?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Can Herpes scar that bad?

To whom it may concern:

Here is my dilemma. I have been suspicious that I have had genital herpes for about a year. Previous to the situation I am currently experiencing I had what could be construed as two herpes outbreaks. Each time began with pains in my upper legs (lymph area) followed my sharp pains to my penis. Then there was a microscopic scab at the very top of my urethra. It slightly burned why I urinated, slightly discharged and caused urination to go in more than one direction. This usually went on for a bout a week. About 4 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a girl. The next week I began stressing out really bad about the potential of catching other diseases. ( I am a very stressed out person.) I have read a lot about the herpes virus and its symptoms which led me to believe that stress had brought on a 3rd outbreak. The lymph glands in the legs began to hurt, followed by sharp pains to the penis head, and mild flu symptoms (fatigue, headache, mild fever). About two days after seeing no physical symptoms I masturbated. While in the process I noticed sores, this time on the right side of my penis head. The area was much larger than previous
Herpes blisters dry up in 7-10 days, but the marks left behind can last for weeks.  This is especially true if you pick at them.  It sounds to me as if you had another outbreak with more blisters than usual--herpes outbreaks can vary a bit in location and severity--and you picked it enough to look redder longer, that's all.  If you leave the area alone, it will heal fine, and the doctor you see next week will be able to set you straight.

Take care.  And chill.

Dr. Rockoff

It's Harry again. I saw the Doc and he is pretty confident that it is hsv 2. However, just to be safe he is also treating me for scabies. It's now been 3 weeks and the marks look the same. The Doc says he is ALMOST sure that they are not scars, but wouldn't give me that 100% I was looking for. He gave me some valtrex so we'll see what happends in a week, but can herpes scar if there was trauma done to the area stages? The doc said that there appears to be puss in the bumps I'm looking at. I am also waiting for results on Syphilis, HIV, and Herpes 2. Fingers are crossed. Is there ever a time where herpes can scar!?
Generally, herpes does not leave a scar. I had a large lesion that was complicated by a staph infection at the same site. It took a while for it to complete resolve, but within a few months you could not tell anything had happened there.

I hope that by now you have the results of your testing and know your status. Visit our support site at racoon.com/herpes.
Thank you for yoru comment. I did get my results. I do not have HIV or syphilis according to the results. A second HIV test next month necessary will be neccessary of course. My biggest fear was the possiblitiy of a HIV ulcer, which I read was a symptom on the acute infection. There was trauma to the infected area during the outbreak. Would this cause a staph infection, and what is a staph infection? Its now been over three weeks and the area (though small) still has 4 little tiny round lesions. Warts?
I have marks on my Butt from herpes before I knew that I had Genital Herpes.I have constantly picked at them and now I have these embarassing. Scars on my Butt..HELLLLLLPPP me someone.How do I get rid of them.I prefer natural solutions first....