Dermatology Expert Forum
Can I transmit herpes if I have never had an outbreak? Coldsores?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can I transmit herpes if I have never had an outbreak? Coldsores?

I have had cold sores since I was a child, but have not had one in several years.  I have never had any sign of genital herpes.  I recently had unprotected oral sex with a man and vaginal sex using a condom.  Within 2 days he said he came down with genital herpes and that I transmitted it to him.  He described the outbreak as a small bump that tingled on his penis.  I suggested we get tested and he resisted the idea, stating I would test positive no mater what due to my history of cold sores and that it would take at least 3 months before it could show up in his blood test.  He said he had a blood test for the virus about 2 years ago and it was negative.  I suggested he get the lesion tested.  He said it was already almost healed (2 days after he said he first had the outbreak) and that at that point it could not be swabbed.  I thought typically the initial outbreak is more severe and am surprised it only lasted 2 days.  How probable is that I transmitted genital herpes to this person?  Should I be tested, or does the fact I have had cold sores make this pointless?