Can damaging your skin cause it to be sensitive and very reactive?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi. I was wondering if constant exfoliation and washing my face with hot water and using harsh products would cause it to become sensitive and very reactive to everything? I turn quite pink when i eat anything processed, could this be very sensitive skin or a food intolerance or anything like that? I've had problems with my stomach and some other signs of celiac for a while.. would this make me turn pinkish-red when i eat?
Overexfoliation is not desirable and should be avoided. You may be having sensitive skin but if the redness persists for a long time, then prerosacea needs to be ruled out. In this, individuals generally come to the dermatologist for acne treatment and exhibit flushing and blushing episodes that last longer than normal. The prolonged redness usually appears over the cheeks, chin, nose or forehead.

Once identified, these rosacea-prone individuals can be counseled to avoid aggravating lifestyle and environmental factors known to cause repeated flushing reactions that may lead to full-blown rosacea.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your reply.

My doctor has given me metrogel and said it could be rosacea, but the redness has increased since using it and i now flush every single time i eat. But another doctor has said it looks like mild acne due to the amount of blackheads and clogged pores i have. Can skin become inflamed from too many clogged pores? And if so does food aggravate it the same as it would with rosacea?

I'm just confused and wish i had a definate diagnosis. They won't refer me to a dermatologist because they say it's not that easily done these days :/
As I have told earlier also, it looks like prerosacea. Avoid the sun and hot weather, spicy foods, alcohol, and hot beverages. Also try to reduce stress as it may precipitate attacks.

Treatment options vary from antibiotic creams, antihistaminics, sun screens to laser treatment. You should wear long sleeved cotton clothes and apply sun screen with a minimum spf of 30 atleast half an hour before going out in the sun.