Dermatology Expert Forum
Can my Daughter Contract Chickenpox twice

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My daughter had Chickenpox when she was a toddler, but the last few days she has developed spots that look like chickenpox on her torso and neck, they are starting to spread down her arms, but she has no other symptons. Is it possable for her to contract chickenpox again? The spots also are on both sides of her torso and across her middle , that is why I don't think it is Shingles. She is 11.
Christine:

Your daughter's current rash sounds nodescript, most likely some other virus.  I would ignore it and just treat any itch with Benadryl cream or calamine.  If it spreads or doesn't go away in a week, show your doctor.

You can't get chickenpox twice, but sometimes the first case was in fact another virus . . .

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
My 3 yr. old had a rash that started on his cheeks and then went down to his chest and then arms. It was diagnosed as Fifth
Disease. Sounds bad but, in reality, it is just a virus. Doc said just another childhood illness. It will run it's course and baby will be fine. I thought it was jsut a heat rash. Glad I decided to take him in. Hope this helps.
I just want to comment that I'm19 now I had chickenpocks 3 times at age 8 10 and 14! I was diagnosed with it by my same physician all three times
Christine,

Did they go away, now that its been a month?  

My son has what your describing, bumps that look like they are water-filled just before they break chickpox.  They are on his back, they have spread from 3 to 8 now, but still on his back.
My nephew has also had chicken pox three times!  He had it at 3, 6 and 8.  The Dr told my sister that there are two forms of Chicken pox but most children only contract one of them.  However he has been diagnosed with it 3 seperate times, the last one being this past year, when another child in the same class passed it on to him.
i had chicken pox 9 times i never had that many either time and i was diagnosed with cancer and i dont know y i only have 5 more months to live