Dermatology Expert Forum
Can rash be possible allergic reaction to fish

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My wife and mother-in-law developed a large rash on the trunk and shoulders of their bodies. My daughter and I did not develop a rash.  The only thing I can think of that we did differently was not eat fish one night.  The rash developed overnight and does not currently itch. Is it possible to develop this type of rash from fish?  And should we be concerned and seek out a dermatologist?
David:

Hard to say.  For two family members to get a rash at the same time could represent allergy, or perhaps a virus of some sort.  It would be very odd indeed for 2 people to get the same allergy at the same time.  Is anyone ill--cough, fever, etc?  Does the rash itch?

In either case, you have nothing to lose by waiting a few days.  If the rashes don't fade, you can then see a dermatologist.  I don't think you ought to label anyone fish allergic on the basis on symptoms like the ones you described.

If the rashes go away, you can assume they were viral and of no lasting consequence.

best.

Dr. R
My father has over the years shown an allergic reaction* to the fish - SKATE (family Rajidae) but to no other fish.

Is this a known reaction.

Skate has a high urea/ammoniac content, could this be the cause?

constricted breathing / rash over upper body & face

I seem to have poison ivy. I first treated it with Rhuli gel, which provided comfort but no healing. A pharmacist then suggested Tecnu plus Cortaid--still unbearable itching for several days, and it was only spreading. I then went to the doctor, who took me off Cortaid (I am trying to conceive)and put me just on Aveeno. This relieved itching for the first day or two, and seemed to be clearing up the poison ivy, but I now have hives all over my forearm! Called my doctor yesterday--he thinks I am allergic to the Aveeno and wanted me to try Calamine lotion only. I did that last night, and it is drying up the poison ivy, but I still have the hives on my forearm which are driving me nuts. The good news is, I can hardly feel the poison ivy any more; the bad news is, the raised red rash is not going away.

Any suggestions for relieving this, or should I just stick with Calamine for a while?