Dermatology Expert Forum
Can this be an infected hair follicle?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Can this be an infected hair follicle?

I have a stationary lump under my skin.  It's located on my lower back at the belt line to the right of the tailbone.  It's about the size of the tip of my finger.  It causes a little pain, but it hurts  a lot more if I touch it or apply pressure to it.  There are no visible signs of the lump.  I can only feel it.

History:

About 2 years ago, doctor #1 drains an infected hair follicle.  The scar is about an inch to the left of the current lump.  This one started as a lump, then became very painful and red.  Other than the redness, it was under my skin.

About 6 months ago, the new lump appears.  When I first noticed it, it was pea sized.  Doctor #2 (Doctor #1 has moved away) looked at it and decided it is a muscle knot, and prescribed an anti inflamatory.  He performed no tests.  

A few months ago the lump grew to its current size.  I also have fatigue and weakness, but no fever.  Sometimes I am light headed.  I occasionally fell a "warm streak" in my butt below the lump.  It feels like someone has dripped warm wax on me.  I have a constant, mild sore throat, but no sinus problems.  My tongue and lips have the same sore feeling.  I was convinced that this was an infected hair follicle in return, and that the infection was causing the fatigue and other symptoms with my body.  I go to doctor #3.  He felt the lump and said it is probably fatty tissue.  He did several tests to determine the cause of my weakness.  PSA, hemoglobin, liver, kidney, CAT scan of my head ... that I can recall.  They all come back normal.  Now I'm back to square one.  

Can this lump be an infected hair follicle?  If so, could this infection cause the other symptoms?  Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?  If they can not be related, I will forget about the lump and pursue the cause of the fatigue.

Thank You in Advance.

It sounds like either a cyst or a lipoma (fatty tissue.)  A cyst is more likely because it became red.  We don;t know whey people get cysts--they're very common, especially on the back--but they're often referred to as "infected hair follicles," which they technically aren't.  Cysts are benign and within the skin.  Except for anxiety over what this lump is, there's no way I can think of to link the lump to your fatigue and other symptoms.  Perhaps you should just have the lump removed and analyzed, so you can take it off your mind.  That would be my suggestion under the circumstances.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your reply.

I looked up lipoma.  The article made a reference to the fact that a lipoma will move under the skin.  This lump doesn't move.  It seems attached to the muscle or bone under the skin.  Does this rule out a lipoma?

Bill
I still think it's a lipoma.  Please have it looked at.

Dr. Rockoff
My 7 month old baby has a spot on his buttocks that has been red and kinda swollen for a few days. He dont really seem to mind when i touch it or anything. But today it ruptured and puss and blood just keeps draining out of it. i put neosporin on it and kepp putting warm compresses on it every couple hours but he still dont seem to mind it. Does anyone know what may be going on?