Can you catch herpes from dogs?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Can you catch herpes from dogs?

I have a relative whom was told by a doctor that the blisters on her legs were herpes and she probably got it from a dog.  He prescribed her Valtrex and the blisters disappeared.  I've searched online for more cases, but have only found one.  The post said that it is highly contagious from dogs and is airborne and can be contracted just by breathing.

Now, I have 3 blisters on my thigh and 1 on my leg.  Could I have gotten it from her?  How common is is?  Is this the same virus that can passed genitally from human to human?

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Herpes is caused by herpes simplex virus. The mode of transmission is through direct skin to skin contact. Especially if there is broken skin, the transmission of the virus may be hastened. Yes, it is possible to get the virus from pets or even from inanimate objects like door knobs and stair banisters. Thus, it is necessary to disinfect objects deemed to have been exposed to the virus. Ask your doctor about taking antiviral medications. This is best taken during the early appearance of the blisters. This will hasten recovery and prevent recurrence.

I had a dog lick my vagina on accident, I
Got a sore. I'm still a virgin. And has never done anything sexually. And my parents are clean? Do I have herpes?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers