Dermatology Expert Forum
Can your skin type change?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can your skin type change?

I have noticed that my skin no longer tans when i go in the sun. I am a 30 year old caucasion male who thought i had sun skin type of three, i.e dark hair who would burn if i stayed out too long, but would always tan. About three years ago i noticed that now my skin does not tan,instead of going brown it turns a reddish/pink colour which fades over a few days.I dont spend very much time in the sun and have only been sunburnt a couple of times so cant imagine it is some form of sun damage. This happens all over my body.The only possible relevant change has been that at about the same time as i noticed the skin change i was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic, but it is well controlled and the diabetes doctors i have spoken to dont think there is a link. Has anyone heard of or experienced anything similar? Thanks in advance.