Chafing on Penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Chafing on Penis

Hi, recently I have been experiencing a chafing on my penis shaft below the head for the past two months.  It does not cause much pain, however, the area gets worse after intercourse and becomes red and swollen.  The swelling dies down after a few hours but the area thats chaffed never seems to compeletly heal.  The skin on the part that is chaffed (assuming chaffing is the right diagnosis) is much thinner than the surrounding area.

It started off as a few small cuts along the creases of the skin. The chaffed area has grown larger within the last 2 months.  I have stopped intecourse for a few weeks thinking that was the cause for the spreading.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what is the cause and reason behind the chaffing and how I can cure this problem?  I have given it many weeks to heal and it has not healed yet.  I am starting to get very worried.  Please help.  Thank you.
Have you cured it yet because I am suffering form the exact same problem and not sure how to treat it. I have been using tissue oil and refrained from intercourse  but it doesn't seem to be healing.
I have had what I think to be a similar problem on an off.  The area gets inflamed and the skin flakes off.  Originally I was applying triple antibiotic ointment and that helped a little but it didn't do that much.  Instead I tried applying a topical steroid (clobetasol propinate, USP 0.05%) I received awhile back for eczema.  This has helped a lot more and usually clears it up in a few applications, it is a steroid so be careful as over application would be bad.  I found that putting a band-aid over it (not very fun removing) helped it go away in even fewer applications.