Dermatology Community
Change in Nail bed
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Change in Nail bed

I would appreciate your advice. I have noticed that my 19 year old daughter's  thumb nail beds have changed their contour.  They used to be relatively flat with a subtle rounding down at the side.  This year they have both changed to have a distinctively higher center section which runs from the base to the tip forming a sort of triangular shape instead of the gentle curve.   First it was on one thumb nail... now it is on both.  Also, the nails (thumb) themselves have become VERY smooth.  Please advise.  They are odd looking where once they were normal.     Thank you.
Related Discussions
Hi,

Are there other symptoms present? Can you elaborate on the triangular shape? There are several nail conditions with changes on the nail shape such as koilonychia: spoon-shaped, concave nails which commonly occur with iron-deficiency anemia and Plummer-Vinson syndrome.  Spoon-shaped nails are a normal, physiologic occurrence in children. Koilonychia tends to resolve, either with treatment or with aging. On the other hand, clubbing presents with an increase in the transverse and longitudinal nail curvature. The angle formed between the dorsal distal phalanx and the nail plate is increased. Clubbing occurs frequently with cardiopulmonary diseases. It would help if you have this evaluated further for proper diagnosis and management. Take care and regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...