Dermatology Expert Forum
Changing Mole

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Changing Mole

I have had a mole on the bridge between my nose for a long time.  It has bothered me but I have asked at least 6 doctors about it and they all say it is harmless and nothing to worry about.  Now, though, it has started bleeding for no reason.  I have never even been aware of it on my face before but now I can feel it because it stings a bit all the time.  There is a hole at the base of the mole where it bleeds (leaks) and it gets a scab that falls off and the bleeding starts all over again.  I am scared of what this means.  Should I go AGAIN to a doctor or is this normal?  It is a dark mole with irregular shape (again, I have showed it over and over again to doctors) but it has not changed in size or shape for many many years.  I am 48 years old.
When a mole bleeds, scabs, and changes shape, the cause 99%+ of the time is irriatation or trauma, most often from picking and scratching.  If the mole continues to trouble you (and it must, or you wouldn't have asked 6 doctors about it), then I think you should see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and just get it off.  Even if isnurance doesn't cover it, this wouldn't be expensive (and sicnce the mole has bled and changed, perhaps insurance would cover it.)

Anyhow, I would suggest you just leave the mole alone and apply an antibiotic ointment like bacitracin daily for a week or so, then show it to a doctor for diagnosis and consideration fo removal.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff