Chemical burn from lemon juice, please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I had a chemical burn from applying lemon juice on my face. After I applied the lemon juice on my face, it became inflammed. Then I applied Neosporin to prevent it from getting infection. Now it healed but there's a dark pigmentation on my face...how do I get rid of it? Is there anything out there to make the dark pigmentation look paler or softer?

It's really weird to have this dark pigmentation on my cheek. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

You may have encountered a mild chemical burn due to the acidic nature of the lemon juice.  This may have led to mild irritant contact dermatitis. You should try to keep the area clean and use anti-bacterial soap. Application of some moisturizers or emollient creams will be helpful in softening the skin and reducing the scar over a period of time.

You may also consult a dermatologist for some antibiotic cream (to prevent secondary infections by staph) or topical corticosteroid, which will help in faster healing of the pigmented scar.

Take care

Can this lead to skin cancer later on in life? Is it possible for the pigmentation to go away or it's permanent?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers