Chemical burn on face due to toothpaste.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Well recently I came back from a Holiday in Fiji, the is very hot there and my acne on my right cheek flared up. Big bulgy lumps that were red and very sore.
I applied some toothpaste over night and let it sit on the acne only on my cheek.
I woke up in the morning and my cheek was very dry, the acne was still a bit bulgy, but the main problem I have now is that my right cheek is red looking and there are greyish blotches on where my acne is/was.

Is this a chemical burn?
And what can I do to cover it, speed up recovery and prevent scaring?
I am also started a course of doxycycline, but it's not for my acne.

All help is appreciated, and a big thank you in advance =]

Ps, I know it was a stupid idea to use toothpaste but I couldn't stand going back to school with massive acne sticking out.
  • FACIAL RASH! (4 replies):
    I stupidly applied toothpaste on both my cheeks thinking...[more]
  • help (1 replies):
    i started out with some little bitty bump i would pop th...[more]
  • Acne (1 replies):
    I wash my face with a natural soap called dudu-osun from...[more]
  • My Cheeks are red. (1 replies):
    At night I put on some acne cream, the next day I saw re...[more]
  • dark dry patch on face (1 replies):
    Recently used a product on my face to get rid of spots. ...[more]
From the symptoms it looks like irritant contact dermatitis. Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, cosmetics, or other chemicals.

Avoid using any lotions and creams over the face for the meantime. Wash your face with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat your face dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
I have the same exact issue, I was wondering will my face ever go back to normal? Because I didn't have no scars or pimples on my face but now even after useing the toothpaste not only did my face burn but the pimple spread. Please help.
I placed  a bit of toothpaste onto some spots on my face and i left it overnight. I usually do this but this time when I woke it was really dry then  I realised it had discoloured my face and began to peel my skin. It has been three days now and it is just getting worse.

How do i get rid of it and make my skin go back to its original colour.
i have the same probem , i applied toothpaste on pimples and i found that my skin became very dry with some dark patches on my face . please please help me how can i get rid of this
please help me i have the same problem i hav dark patches on my face due to toothpaste
I'm facing the same problem too ! It bearly happend last night when I applied toothpaste so many times on a pimple by my cheek . I woke up and it was dried up . It looked purple , brown and red mixed together . Help please !! How long will it take to go back ?¿ . Did yours already go away ?¿ . Will it leave a scar ?¿ . PLEASE REPLY !! .
Use aloe vera it worked for me
Happened to me, too. I am on my second day using aloe vera from the plant. How long did yours take to start healing?
Happened to me yesterday. I applied aloe vera from the very start and it's pretty much better today. Yesterday it was so hot and burnt so bad and turned into a dark brown scab. Today, however, it seems to be healing quite fast. Hopefully, the nasty scab will be gone until Sunday, as I am attending a wedding and don't want to have a brown patch on my forehead. How long did your burn take to start healing?
How long did it take using aloe Vera? & how much did you apply a day ?
Never put toothpaste on your skin!! If not taken care of this can leave a permanent scar. I burnt my skin last weekend, using toothpaste. The only thing I did was put aloe vera on the burn a couple of times a day. Do not put vaseline, or toner or any kind of cleanser as it will only irritate the skin further. Don't try to cover it with makeup. The very next day my burn started pealing off and now it is completely gone. and do NOT PICK IT
Yes,alove vera is the best way to remove the patches which are caused by using toothpaste..apply it in the night time..and wash it off in the morning
Hello, I have experienced this condition and I would like to advise you that, clean the affected are and the are surrounding it thoroughly and apply CLYNDAMICIN PHOSPHATE gel, it really works, it dries it out and makes it easy for peeling and comes off within 2 days of regular application. It might irritate very less but worked really well for me, I am happy.
Guys it's just the toothpaste, your skin goes darker because it is about to peel off that later due to the toothpaste killing it, you will notice tightness, wrinkles and a darker tone before it peels off may take a day or 2 down worry, skin will go back to normal don't put anything unnatural in your skin seriously leave it alone, if you have bad acne, do a modified caveman regime eat healthy and be patient. Wash your face once or twice a day and don't worry. Just relax.
Hey did you do this? Just done it and really worried, its a bit less red but tight and dry and no signs of peeling as of yet?! Been putting aloe vera and burn ointment on it .. Did it on Monday night but didnt have much stuff to treat it with till Tuesday and its now Wednesday please help any advice? xx
Hello guys pls help me. My skin near on my mouth was burn because I did not wash it very well. My mouth got dry for 5 days and then I saw my skin near on my mouth become dark. Right now I think this ******** is already 2 weeks happened and my skin near on my mouth is still dark. I am not in english but hope you understand me. Pls help meeeeeee
what is meant by alove vera i dont have it then what should i do know
Hi  Girls

I applied toothpaste on my blemishes and let it stayed overnight. In the morning, it was all dark patches with burning sensations. The bad thing is it happened close to my lips ends on both sides (bad luck) and it looks very very ugly.Its dry and dark and burning :-(.
So those girls who have applied aloe vera or those who left it like that- is your skin back to normal now? I went to GP who said you have burnt your skin and it will take time or not sure of the skin will be back to normal ever again.