Cherry angioma's on infant

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cherry angioma's on infant

When my baby was 2 months old she developed these "cherry angioma's" on her face, hands, feet, and inside her mouth. She is now 4 months old. And they are getting bigger, darker, and starting to protrude. I took her to our family doctor and she told me that they are fine, and that it probably runs in my family. I am concerned as to why she has them (since they don't run in either side of our family) and if they can be harmful to her.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? How is your baby? A cherry angioma is a benign skin growth that appears as a small, smooth, cherry-red bump that occurs almost anywhere on the body. Little is known about the factors that contribute to the formation of cherry hemangiomas.Cherry angiomas generally do not need to be treated. If they are cosmetically displeasing or prone to bleeding, angiomas may be removed by surgery, freezing, burning or laser.

The appearance of cherry angiomas has essentially no effect on the patient's life span, except in very rare situations in which sudden appearance of multiple angiomas that could lead to internal malignancy.You can read more about this through this link: http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic73.html
Take care and keep us posted.
Avatar n tn
My infant son also developed an angioma, and his doctor told me that it will almost definitely disappear between the ages of 5 and 9 years.  His also got a little darker, larger, and puffier in the first 2 months he had it, but it seems to have stayed the same shape and size for the last few months.  I hope this gives you some peace of mind
i have a 3 month old boy and he has one on his r. shoulder his dr said it was a birth mark. and i look it up on the computer.. it was something different from what they told me.. is it like a tumor or what???