Chicken Skin (Keratosis Pilaris)- What is it supposed to look like?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

5774164?1276105398
I have had what I believe to be keratosis pilaris for years now. However, mine doesn't look like all of the pictures- the pilaris bumps in the pics look red, but mine are white. My skin is completely smooth, but it looks like I have permanent goosebumps because the spots are lighter than my skin. In the attached picture, my leg is completely smooth but it looks as if I have raised goosebumps. The spots are always there. Does anybody know if it is keratosis pilaris or something else?
Yes the symptoms are suggestive of keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. There is currently no known cure for keratosis pilaris, however, there are effective treatments available which make its symptoms less apparent. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

• skin condition (1 replies):
    If you a feel along my arms, chest and legs you will fee...[more]
  • Keratosis pilaris (1 replies):
    I have this skin disorder on my legs, arms back, stomach...[more]
  • Goosebumps (1 replies):
    What are, patches like goosebumps on legs and arms, for ...[more]
  • bumps (2 replies):
    ive had these bumps on the back of my arms and thighs fo...[more]
  • dermatitis? (1 replies):
    i have rashes on bothmy forearms since i moved in irelan...[more]
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you so much Dr. Kaur. I think I may try out one of the creams. Do the medications have any negative side effects that you know of?
I have the same thing as you sometime it looks really really dry and my skin sort of flakes off when i scratch it. (it is not itchy )
My arms look just like your leg.  Mine is on my lower arm between the wrist and elbow and also a little above the elbow. As a rule it is not itchy, but at night especially it can get itchy for a bit.  I can usually take a benedryl and sleep so I am not sure if the benedryl stops the itching or just helps me sleep so I don't feel it. I know when it first started I did use a moisturizing cream and it did help.