Chicken Skin (Keratosis Pilaris)- What is it supposed to look like?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

5774164?1276105398
I have had what I believe to be keratosis pilaris for years now. However, mine doesn't look like all of the pictures- the pilaris bumps in the pics look red, but mine are white. My skin is completely smooth, but it looks like I have permanent goosebumps because the spots are lighter than my skin. In the attached picture, my leg is completely smooth but it looks as if I have raised goosebumps. The spots are always there. Does anybody know if it is keratosis pilaris or something else?
Yes the symptoms are suggestive of keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. There is currently no known cure for keratosis pilaris, however, there are effective treatments available which make its symptoms less apparent. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you so much Dr. Kaur. I think I may try out one of the creams. Do the medications have any negative side effects that you know of?
I have the same thing as you sometime it looks really really dry and my skin sort of flakes off when i scratch it. (it is not itchy )
My arms look just like your leg.  Mine is on my lower arm between the wrist and elbow and also a little above the elbow. As a rule it is not itchy, but at night especially it can get itchy for a bit.  I can usually take a benedryl and sleep so I am not sure if the benedryl stops the itching or just helps me sleep so I don't feel it. I know when it first started I did use a moisturizing cream and it did help.
Hi doc.i have read abt keratosis pilaris but i dnt understand if i have that or not. My skin on upper arm, neck, back and butt does look spotted like that of gooseflesh but it doesn't itch. It is smooth. The spots are not red but white lighter than surrouding skin. Can chemical peel treat this condition? Pls suggest.
I've noticed the same on me..last week my throat righbunder my jaw bone was hurting and swollen(not sick) and it went away and then all sudden my stomach and arms have a rough feel and has really tiny bumps all over? Ive nevwr had it befire ever!!!???? What is it? Someone told me it was prob part of hyperthyroidism that i havent even qentbto dr for to be put on meds?? Im nervous bcuz it literally started just days ago..never before???