Chigger bites

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Chigger bites

Seven weeks ago I had roughly 100 chigger bites on the back of my legs up to the tops of my thighs. The itching burning sensation was terrible and I had to take antihistamines to sleep. I felt itchy all over and had a crawling sensation also. Ten days after the rash started I became nauseous which lasted for a week. Then my skin broke out on my arms and back in what looked like heat rash. I find I still feel itchy. My skin is clear now. My GP told me I have developed allergies unrelated to the chigger bites. Is it possible I am extremely allergic to these bites and my skin/system will eventually calm down? Poison ivy takes weeks to heal when I run into it so I know I react badly to such things. Many sites say if you become nauseous to talk with your doctor but they don't say why. Everyone says they are itchy but no one describes an all over itching feeling. I've spent a lot of money going to my GP and an acupuncturist and can't justify going to an allergist or dermatologist with no more rash this many weeks later. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Tags: chiggers
This can be due to an allergic reaction to the chigger bites. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.