Child sunburn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Child sunburn

On holiday last year my 8 year old son burnt his shoulders and his skin peeled off. I plastered suntan lotion very regular but he still burnt his shoulders when in the water as we were in a water park accommodation. I told him to put a t shirt on and everytime I looked he had it off as he felt cold, although I still insisted on him wearing one. I feel awful and feel that I have increased his risk of skin cancer! We went last May and he still has marks/scars.

Is their permanent damage and if so is it only this part which is at risk? I am very worried!

I doubt that a single case of sunburn would cause skin cancer. It is the steady exposure over the years that creates the problem.
Thank you for your reply.

Makes me feel much better!