Chlorine burn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Chlorine burn

Yesterday at work I burned my elbow in some chlorine.  I'm guessing it wasn't diluted becaue I have a big red burn on my elbow and it hurts when I bend my arm.  I've washed it with cold water a few times, but it's still kind of moist.  Someone told me it's a 2nd degree burn.  I also put some cortizone cream on it.  
Do I need to see a doctor?
From your description, it looks like a first or second degree burn. Most superficial burns heal within about two weeks and don't usually leave a scarf. For these kind of burns; you can apply antibiotic cream such as silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene).It will prevent infection and help in fast healing.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks!  It appears to be healing, it's getting smaller and smaller.  It still hurts unless I put the cream on it.  Hopefully it will heal up pretty soon.