Chronic Bump on Buttocks from Sitting

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Chronic Bump on Buttocks from Sitting

6732626?1300077244
Some basics.  I do a lot of sitting.  I shower daily.  Not sexually active.  In the last few weeks, a few bumps have appeared on my buttocks.  They feel like pimples but don't appear to develop heads (that I can tell).  Once they get big enough, they annoy me enough that I can't help scratching at them...eventually ripping them off the skin.  I try to pamper the skin so it will heal, but when it does, the bump eventually returns in that same spot.  At first, I thought it was just a scab, but scabs eventually fall off leaving healed skin...not another bump.  I tried some wart removal discs, and I thought they were working, but after a week of using them I stopped and the bump came back.

I think it's related to sitting because they are prominent in the pressure-point locations where I tend to sit.  I would think that keeping the skin clean would do the job, but is being seated throughout most of the day preventing them from going away?  Why do the bumps keep reoccurring.  I wondered if these could be warts, but where did they come from?
From the symptoms it looks like folliculitis due to irritated hair follicles due to continuous sitting. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or Neosporin can be applied but if the symptoms are severe then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist. You may need oral antibiotics.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for the input.  I had to do SOMETHING about this, so I got out the Bag Balm (a veterinary...but OTC, antiseptic salve I use all the time for dry, cracked skin), slathered it on the buttock and into the anal crevasse, and put on a pair of snug-fitting boxer briefs to protect my clothing (and most anything else) from getting the ointment on it.  I really had to force myself to NOT SCRATCH the itching, but after a couple days of keeping the skin ointmented 24/7, the irritation went down.  While I need to do this until I'm certain it's gone, the bumps are gone, no new red spots, and the worst spot where I tore the skin has scabbed and is healing.

If I had to scratch that itch, I normally did so by rubbing the area in the shower with a washcloth and soap and water so I'd not keep tearing the skin with my fingernails.

Normally, when lounging about the house, I just wear a pair of old athletic shorts, w/o undergarments (comfort issue for me).  Out of habit, I just wear the same shorts all week.  I suspect that's how the irritation got started...fabric soiled with body oils and dirt constantly rubbing against the skin.

Time to buy more shorts.