Chronic Facial Flushing after Steroid Injection.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hello, my name is Peter. I'm a 55yo male. In Jan. 2012 I had a, one and only, cordical steroid injection to treat pain from a heriated disc in my neck.
Two weeks later my face became constantly flushed and broke out in a terrible oily, acne like rash which cause my skin to become scaly and puffy.

I have seen a dermatolgist who prescribe a steroid cream which did not help. My GP prescribed Doxcycine Hyclate (antibiotic) which helped treat the acne simptoms but did not help the constant facial flushing. I stopped the course of antibiotics 2 weeks ago and the acne has come back a little.

I also saw a rumatologist who tested me for lupus, but all tests were negative.

The chronic facial flushing is affecting my life very negatively. It feels like my face is on fire. I sit outside in cold regularly just to try and cool off my face. I can't sleep and am extremely irritable and depressed with thoughts of suicide.

At this point I'm at a loss where to turn next.
One possibility for your rash is of rosacea. Rosacea is a medical condition presenting with redness, swelling, discoloration and sometimes pimples and dry skin over the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead.

Avoid the sun and hot weather, spicy foods, alcohol, and hot beverages. Also try to reduce stress as it may precipitate attacks.

Treatment options for rosacea vary from antibiotic creams, antihistaminics, sun screens to laser treatment.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.