Dermatology Expert Forum
Chronic Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Chronic Rash

My 18 month old son has had a rash on his legs for past 6-8 months.
This rash started on his upper front thighs and at first it felt like rough dry skin changing over time to many small red/pink and flesh color pimples that are spreading to the back of his ankles as well.
The rash looks better some days and worse on other days however there is no itching or oozing. To touch, these pimples still feel like dry, rough skin.
I went to see my family physian 4 months ago however she told me that there was no cause for concern and it is very unlikely that my son is alergic (allergic) to anything.
Since the rash got slighly worse since then and it is not going away, I am a little worried.

Thank you for your help.

Don't worry.  It may be mild eczema--try nonprescription (1%) hydrocortisone twice a day for a week.  If it helps, ask your doctor whether to continue.  It may also be a hereditary bumpy condition called keratosis pilaris.  Do you or his father have bumps on the outside of your arms?  In kids no treatment is worthwhile, since it's just the way the skin looks, and will likely go away over time.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff