Dermatology Expert Forum
Chronic fungal rash to glans(glands)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Chronic fungal rash to glans(glands)

I have a chronic (aprox 14 months now) inflammation to the glans (glands) which, if treated every day with anti-fungal cream (clotrimazole 1%), is kept at a low level (approx. 30% coverage, a bit redder in colour, not painful or noticeably more sensitive). Left untreated, the skin quickly weakens to the point at which, just below the glans (glands), it tears as a result of normal intercourse, and the infection spreads to other areas of the groin.

My doctor has ruled out psoriasis (because moisturising alone does not contain the problem) and has concluded that, for some reason, my body has simply stopped coping with a fungus which I, like everyone, have a little of on my skin (i.e. I can't avoid contact, no matter how careful I am with towels, washing etc). This might be true, but I would like to find a way make the inflammation go away altogether and to address the basic cause. I'd prefer not to have to apply anti-fungal cream twice a day for the rest of my life.
Please consult a doctor who knows what fungus looks like and who doesn't say things like "it can't be psoriasis because moisturizing alone doesn't contain the problem," a statement which makes no sense.  Your rash does indeed sound like psoriasis or eczema, and most probably ought to be treated with an anti-inflammatory cream such a weak steroid.   Unlike willy851, you shouldn't need a biopsy to confirm what you have, and again unlike him you almost certainly don't have some new variety of fungus.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hello
I have been dealing with a similar problem. I have been dealing with a rash on my scrotum. The only thing that works is fungal creams and sprays. I went to four different dermatologists and the last one was a professor at Penn. They ruled out Psoriasis and eczema because steroids even oral steroids did nothing but fungal sprays worked. They did a biopsy and it came back positive even after weeks of applying prescription anti fungal creams. They tested my immune system and tested me for diabetes.
I was applying steroid cream for days one time and the area was all red with a definite border. It was burning and stinging and I applied anti fungal spray and within two days the skin went back to normal.
I think we a dealing with a new variety of fungus that is resistant to any current medication.
My rash only itches if it gets red. I was actually able to show the doctor how it changes color within minutes.
You are not alone with this problem as I found around twenty other guys that all developed the same problem at or around May of last year.