Chronic itching for no apparent reason with no visible rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have horrible unrelenting itching that is unbearable.  I have had this off and on for many years...right now it is on again.  I can wake up with it and nothing seems to help except Lyrica on occasion.  I have had biopsies of the skin and no results.  When I lived in Southern California I went under a certain type of light box that helped the itching over a period of time and kept it at bay.  Since I moved to Tennessee there are no light boxes in my area and no one seems to know how to help me.  I have tried everything and don't want to go back on prednisone.
  • skin itchy (1 replies):
    I feel super itchy over my body everyday. Although i hav...[more]
  • itching (2 replies):
    I itch all over my body. There is no rash or redness. I ...[more]
  • Terrible itch (1 replies):
    My skin itches me every day I mean from my head to toes ...[more]
  • Itching (1 replies):
    What can it be. was tested for scabies and it came back...[more]
  • dermatology (1 replies):
    im itching dont know why?
Itchy skin without any rash can be due to dry skin, psoriasis, dermatitis, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods. What you mean by the light boxes is phototherapy and you can discuss about this option with your dermatologist.

Also oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Claritin can be used. If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist as topical and oral steroids may be needed after confirming the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.