Chronic swollen & dry chapped lips that won't heal.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I awoke one morning with my lips feeling swollen, dry & chapped. I attributed it to a little too much sun exposure as I am currently cruising on my boat. I use lip balm, etc. daily and am religious about it, even using it right before going to sleep. When I had my 1st cup of coffee for the morning, my mouth started bleeding immensely!!! A tiny spot on the underneath side of my top lip was the cause of all the bleeding. It took over a period of about 45 min. to stop the bleeding. Because of the location it is very easily disturbed & bleeding occurred again later in the day. I went to the emergency room @ the hospital, but felt like an idiot for a goofy bleeding lip!  Blood work was done & was good, thank goodness! I was sent home & told to keep my lips lubricated & rinse with 50 percent peroxide & water! I already knew that! The swollen puffy lips persist! I feel like I have had a botox experience, which I haven't! I have not changed my diet or medication, nor have I kissed anyone strange and for the life of me cannot imagine what has caused this. I am going to take vitamin B's , open a new toothbrush, gargle with Listerine & pray! I did have a friend make a good suggestion though about the bleeding lip. Using an ice pack helped the bleeding, but once it stopped bleeding she suggested lubricating a q-tip  (with vaseline) then applying a small dot of super-glue to the q-tip & then to the small opening where the bleeding occurred to seal it. Careful though........ until it drys so it doesn't stick to anything!!!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?What other symptoms are present? Aside from the lips, are there other swollen parts in your body?  This could be due to allergic reaction to food, drink or other substances, infections (such as herpes simplex virus infection), inflammatory conditions of the skin and medical conditions that affect the entire body such as with fluid retention. If it persists, you may need to have this checked further for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.