Dermatology Expert Forum
Clear water bumps on base/pubic area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Clear water bumps on base/pubic area

Dear Dr. Rockoff, I will try and get right to the point.  I have asked you for your help before, and you gave me great insight, and told me to see a dermatologist. I am currently in SE Asia, and saw the dermatologist here and he said it looked like I had folliculitis, gave me antiobiotics (oral and topical)...cleared all pretty quickly.

However, a week and half later, I got these 2 small water bumps in the pubic hair area/close to base of penis.  I mentioned them to you before (in my 1st "follicultiis" bout), and you didnt seem alarmed that they were superficial.  these new bumps, started as 2 red bumps, that turned into superficial water blisters that were conneccted, but never popped, they just went down, never became an open ulcer, NO pain,  but just scabbed 2 days after I put antibiotic/corticosteroid cream on it.

1. What could this be? Herpes? (since they did resemble some of the pictures). They did not have hair in these clear bumps. Could this be a "recurrent herpes attack", since the bumps seemed to quickly heal into a scab without any open sores?

2. I am just confused though, because, none of these became painful, NEVER ulcerated, and quickly went away or turned into small scabs with the cream within 2 days.
Is it possible that it is prickly heat, trapped sweat, since I have been in humid areas working outside? Does prickly heat cause water blisters that scab with no pain?

Never any bumps on the penis shaft or head.

Just a note, I had sex with a woman 7 weeks ago, with a condom, that might not have covered the affected areas (pubic area and base). She says she does not have genital herpes....thank you doctor, as I know you must get so tired of these questions...losing sleep, nervous...will have a blood test when i get back to US.
I'm afraid I can't diagnose you with certainty.  I can't ignore blisters with water in them, if that's what they were.  But only two of them sounds too few for herpes.  Even if it is--and I'm far from sure of that--it would indeed be the recurrent type which means you would have contracted it months or years ago, not 7 weeks ago.

Why not lay off sex till you come home and get tested.  It seems to me the anxiety isn't worth it.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. Rockoff---I am confused with information on the internet regarding recurrent outbreaks.  some websites say that recurrent outbreaks can be weeks to months..you said 7 weeks would be too soon for a recurrent outbreak after a primary outbreak...sorry..just a little confused...thank you doctor.
What I meant was that this outbreak, if it is one, would be very unlikely to be related to an encounter you had just 7 weeks ago.  Possible, yes, likely no.  With a recurrent-type outbreak, the exposure could have been years before.

Enough speculation, though--please get yourself properly diagnosed.

Thanks.

Dr. Rockoff