Clindamycin Reaction?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Clindamycin Reaction?

For the last week I have had a severe rash on my face, neck, chest and back that comes and goes.  It is worst in the morning and evening, after I shower - or when I become stressed/anxious - this is when white heads appear on many of the red bumps.  It itches and at times makes my skin feel "crawly."  This began 5 days after taking Clindamycin for a staph infection (caused by a bug bite).  (The day before taking the Clindamycin I had been on Nitrofuroin for a UTI.  In affect, I had been on antibiotics for about 2-3 weeks before my skin errupted.)  The doctor took me off Clindamycin at the onset of the rash, and prescribed an oral steroid.  I took that for 1.5 days (3 pills).  I was supposed to take 5 days worth, but the rash had completely disappeared.  Now that I'm off the steroids, just a day and a half later the rash is returning - and quickly.  Can anyone tell me anything about this?  The doctor I saw for the staph infection is sending me to a dermatologist, but I've never had skin issues before.  I think it's some kind of real medical problem or allergic reaction.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Clindamycin is a lincosamide antibiotic which is used to treat infections with anaerobic bacteria, some protozoal diseases, acne, and against some methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections.  Common adverse drug reactions may include: diarrhea, pseudomembranous colitis, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or cramps, rash, and itch. Topical application may also cause contact dermatitis. In your case, the rash could be due to the medication or from other causes.

It is best that you see your dermatologist for further evaluation. A complete medical history and physical examination of the rash/lesions is important to determine t he diagnosis. An allergic reaction usually resolves  after the offending trigger ( either food, medication or other substances ) is removed.  

Take care and regards.
I visited a skin doctor this morning, who sais due to the pustules it is most likely bacterial and not due to allergies of any kind.  Is this accurate information?  He has put me back on steroids for the next week and I am to see him in 10 days.  In the meantime, I may schedule an appt with an allergist.  Recommended?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? You should continue with your medication as prescribed by your doctor. Since the rash responds well to the steroid, this could indeed be bacterial in nature.  You can always go to the allergy specialist to completely rule out alllergic reaction and alleviate your worries. But it is important that you go back for your follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Take care and do keep us posted.
FYI, NEVER stop your medication just because the visible rash or infection or whatever symptom has gone away. Always take the full course. See an internal medicine doctor and not a dermatologist for better informed results.

Rescently this month I had gotten a paritonsial abses (abscess) on my left tonsil. So after using clindamycin pill for the past month I had started getting a rash of red bumps all over my stomach and now it spreads and started iching. Im almost done with the medicine but the doctor I went to suggested I go to an ENT doctor. Should I go to the doctor for the rash or wait for the appoinment with the ENT?
Here is my recent experience w/ this drug. A month ago, on Wed 5/27, I went to the ER for what I was told was cellulitis on my chin. They administered Clinda IV in the ER and gave me a script to take it 4x a day. Took 2 doses that night and 2 the next day, when I also noticed welts all about my face, shoulders and back of my neck, as well as pain in my sternum and unbelievable pain in my hand and feet, along with swollen lips. Went back to the ER, thurs 5/28, and by the time I got there I couldn't walk on my feet they hurt so much. They then administered Cipro, Augmenten, Benedryl and Solomedral and admitted me for the night. They also had me stop taking my BP medicine, Antenolol HCL, they suspected it may have been a reaction to the ACE Inhibitors. The symptoms were pretty much gone by the next morning. I left the hospital w/ scripts for Cipro, Augmenten, Methyprednisolone taper pack and 50mg of benedryl. By Sat night 5/29 they welts started to return, pain in my chest again and pain in my hands and feet returned. Returned to the ER Sun 5/30, and this time they only administered IV solomedral, benedryl and pepcid. At this time they had stopped all antibiotics, if it had been my BP meds it would have cleared up pretty much right away. I was admitted from that Sun-Tues. Everything cleared up again immediately but my white cells were high, we think it was because of the solomedral (prednisone). Tuesday 6/1 I was released with just a script for prednisone 40mg 1x a day and was told had angiodema from some reaction to something. By the next morning I was up at 4:30 am with welts on my head, shoulders and neck again and pain in my hands and feet, as well as my tongue and mouth swollen. By about 11am I was ready to go back to the ER. Started driving down towards the hospital, decided to stop and eat and took more prednisone, shortly afterwards I started to feel better so I held the ER visit off and just saw my primary. Next morning, 6/3, was up at 4:30 am again. Again with the welts and pain but now my throat seemed to swelling up. Swallowing benedryl was trouble. Off to the ER I go again, and they admitted me once again and was put on a heavy dose of solomedral again w/ the benedryl and pepcid. By afternoon symptoms seemed to be gone but they kept me overnight. They released me w/ a script for prednisone 20mg 2x a day. I followed up w/ my primary the following week and he had me see an allergist. Saw the allergist and told him what they had given me and he suspected it to be Clinda. But the only way I would have a reaction like I did is if I had been given Clinda once before so he told me to check my script history. Come to find out I was given Clinda back in Feb 09. And even though I had been given it then I wouldn't necessarily had the same kinda of reaction. So now I must carry an Epi Pen w/ me just in case. Sorry for the long entry, but just wanted to relay as much info as I could in case anyone else had the symptoms and was not sure.
I almost forgot to mention what I was diagnosed with, Serum Sickness
I was on antibiotics for one week and then placed on Prednisone for 2 weeks for bronchitis. The day after I finished the Prednisone, I developed a rash on my face and neck that itched like crazy and also developed a few whiteheads. It's worse right after I take a shower and then gets slightly better throughout the day. I think its a reaction to the steroids which I have read about. It should go away within a week or 2, I am in the beginning of week 2 and getting married in 4 weeks so I am PRAYING it subsides. Steroids are no joke, I had horrible side effects while on them and now effects after and I only took them for 2 weeks! Good luck.
Antibiotics encourage fungus growth especially since they are made from fungus that is why some doctor will give you an anti-fungal right after clindamycin. After 6 weeks of clindamycin I had yeast infection the doctor gave me anti fungal boric acid suppository. My stomach flora was screwed up so  my doctor  put me a anti-fungal and  had me talk to the nutritionist  she suggested anti candida diet for a few weeks which is anti fungal diet no gluten. no yeast.  no sugar,  no dairy  no fruit I also took  mega probiotics with  34 strains 500 billion ...gazillion cfu  LOL
I took 6000-8000mg grams of vitamin C to stop the itching fast I weight 107I took this for many days to make sure the itching was under control and finally the itching was over large doses of VITAMIN C will stop the  crazy itching it its tracks, while you regroup Also  taking  bath with 1/2 cup of baking soda or apple cider vinegar in bath  daily this will help a lot to stop itching,  I will never ever take clindamycin again I have an MD who is also and ND so next time I will be asking for homeopathic  yes indeed I will go that route instead of suffer for months from clindamycin it is not worth it  in the long run for me
I have read so  many cases on the web of some very scary stories of people almost dying from clindamycin severe side effects people being hospitalized in critical care that really scared me to death I had been taking it for 5 weeks was supposed to take it for six  and I had been taking tons of probiotics as well. I m ade a decision to stop at the 5 week mark I asked my chinese medicine doctor for the equivalent of clindamycin without all the dangerous side effects...but  it was a little late I had a yeast infection my doctor gave me suppositories for that.  I had gastritis from clindamycin I  spent hours researching a cure took tons of probiotics but still had stomach pain  was cured by taking Florastor the best probiotics for this sort of this thing.I will be on it for for six months with other probiotics it will take about that much time for my , This is what is happening now the third side effect of clindamycin happened a three weeks after I stopped taking it, that is how strong this stuff is crazy making I had a  a burning stinging  rash on my shoulder chest and legs apparently some of antibiotics causes severe fungal overgrowth better known as candida overgrowth . Lucky my doctor is very aware of what is going on with medication and illnesses, he is pretty sought after because he knows usually right away what is going on with his patients  was time to get on medication antifungal and get on special diet for that which is no carbs, no sugar, no dairy and no grains no alcohol and not fruits the fun is just starting NEVER AGAIN will I take clindamycin
I am still having reactions to the Clindamycin that I was given for a bug bite that caused a localized rash  on my left hand. Though I only took one capusle of the Clindamycin, it caused me a severe rash, cramping, nausea, diarrhea,etc. I knew not to take it further as I wrote on my form when I visited ER that I am allergic to Penicillin, Erthromycin, Tetracyclin, Sulfa, etc. and let the ER know. In fact I only went to ask a nurse if I needed to see a doctor but instead they put me through to the doctor. Then I went to Urgent Care the next day and that doctor said my rash was the bug bite (tho the rash began to spread due to the Clindamycin is my guess now.) It only got worse from my one use of the topical corticosteroid cream I was given and though only used it once, it caused severe dizziness and my legs and feet swelled up looking like Elephantosis! I stopped taking Benadryl that helped at first even with the bug bite, but I began to get what felt like pain in the lower back area of my kidneys. I usually try to eat healthy and take Vit C, BComples, A (for allergies) and vitamin with Calcium Magnesium with D3 and have always been very healthy. I agree that high doses of Vitamin C stops the itching and will be cutting out sugar and caffeine again as I've read that can help. However, this is over a month and a half now since all of this happened. I was healthy before I took the Clindamycin and now I wake up nauseous and yesterday had a huge welt on my right arm and itchy bump on the front of my right ankle as well as off and on rashes that come and go. I would like to know when the Clindamycin and maybe also the steroid cream effects will go away? I have to fight the swollen feet and ankles still and notice they get worse now when sitting for long periods of time. This was not an issue before. When will the bloating and swelling feeling all over go away?
Edit to my above comment:
I am still having reactions to the Clindamycin that I was given for a bug bite--though the bite only had caused a localized rash on my left hand. Though I only took one capusle of the Clindamycin, it caused me a severe rash, cramping, nausea, diarrhea,etc. I knew not to take it further as I wrote on my form when I visited ER that I am allergic to Penicillin, Erthromycin, Tetracyclin, Sulfa, etc. and let the ER know. In fact I only went to ask a nurse if I needed to see a doctor but instead they put me through to the doctor. Then I went to Urgent Care the next day and that doctor prescribed a Triamcinolone (corticosteroid cream), as he said my rash was from the bug bite tho the rash he saw had begun to spread much further after taking the Clindamycin that I believe caused it to worsen as after taking the Clindamycin I had a rash and itchiness going all the way up to my head! Things only got worse from my one use of the topical corticosteroid cream, Triamcinolone cream that I was given and though only used it once, it caused severe dizziness, malaise (tiredness that may have also been from the Clindamycin..not sure), and my legs and feet swelled up looking like Elephantosis! I stopped taking Benadryl that I at first had taken for the bug bite before seeing a doctor, and it helped at first even with the bug bite, but after I took it after having the reaction to the Clindamycin that the nurse I called said was ok to keep taking, as did the nurse where I got the steroid cream, so I took it to also help offset the awful reaction I got from the steroid cream, However, I noticed I began to also get a reaction to the Benadryl after awhile, that I've always been able to tolerate in the past, but after taking it what I believe for what was too long, I began to get what felt like pain in the lower back area over my kidneys. I usually try to eat healthy and take Vitamin C regularly and it had even helped me get over Pneumonia a few years ago. I also do well taking Vitam B Complex, A (for allergies) and Vitamin E and Calcium Magnesium with D3 and have always been very healthy until dealing with the effects of this Clindamycin that I cannot yet seem to get out of my system. Just this morning I realized I needed to take more Vitamin C and sure enough it did stop the itching, though I notice the round red welt is on my arm that appeared yesterday and is not the affected hand/arm where the bug bit. I will also once again cut out sugar and caffeine again as I've read that can help and it did when I was trying to get rid of the effects of the steroid cream and the Clindamycin. I stoped this diet thinking the worst was over. However, I am once again itchy and realize it is not yet over. Sadly, it's been over a month and a half now since all of this happened. I was healthy before I took the Clindamycin and now I wake up nauseous and yesterday had a huge welt on my right arm and itchy bump on the front of my right ankle as well as off and on rashes that come and go. I would like to know when the Clindamycin and maybe also the steroid cream effects will go away? I have to fight the swollen feet and ankles still and notice they get worse now when sitting for long periods of time. This was not an issue before. When will the bloating and swelling  and the unpredictable appearance of the rash, and all over effects just go away and when will I have my once very good health back?
Oops! Still a typ-o to my above "Edit"...The word capsule is misspelled in my above two posts. BTW, Is there an Edit function that we can use for our posts that I am unaware of? Thank you!
I almost forgot to mention that I also experienced extreme shortness of breath after I put the steroid (Triamcinolone) cream on.