Clorox bleach on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Clorox bleach on skin

I thought I had poison ivy...so I used an old trick to dry it out - I poured clorox bleach on it and did not wash it off several times over two days.
The rash became worse and very painful.
My doctor diagnosed it as shingles...but it has been spreading.

What effects are there of putting clorox bleach on the back of my neck on open sores?
Can it eat away at my skin causing much pain and blistering?

Thanks, need to figure out what I have - shingles, poison ivy or something more sereious like MRSA
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Chlorox is composed of sodium hypochlorite, which is a strong oxidizer. Products of the oxidation reactions are corrosive and may burn skin and cause eye damage, particularly when used in concentrated forms. Household bleach and pool chlorinator solutions are typically stabilized by a significant concentration of lye and skin contact will produce caustic irritation or burns. The effect will be dependent on the concentration you used.

MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, is a bacterium that can cause serious infections. Most MRSA infections are skin infections that produce the following signs and symptoms: cellulitis, boils, abscesses, carbuncles or  impetigo.It is best that you have this evaluated further for proper diagnosis and management.

Take care and keep us posted.
Taking anti viral meds and steroids seems to be clearing it up. Still not sure if it was shingles, poison ivy, or both. The clorox burn may have led to a misdiagnosis of shingles.
Anyway, thanks
Wow, I heard about the same old bleach trick to cure my poison ivy.  I have it on my neck, shoulder, arms, hands, and it's starting on the back of my leg.  I was told taht applying bleach would dry it out and I tried it last night and this morning.  The burning was intense last night but it was the first night I ddn't itch and actually got some sleep.  Seeing your post though I think I will just go to the doctor for help.  It's irratating and I can't deal with it but I don't want to feel burning and itching worse than it is already!  Thanks
be careful what you wish for..I had a bad staff infection and the antibiotics didnt seem to work....i read where some doctors had great sucess with 1/2 cup of bleach in a bathtub of water...I tried this..and then the next morning went too far...I used a 50/50 solution of water/bleach and poured it over the open wounds and then soaked a bandage....yes it helped the cellulitis but thought it was going to kill me....first my urine turned a redish brown...then I started loosing large amounts of bright red blood in my stool and finally even peeing blood....diaharea and stomach cramps....all in the same day....
next time...I will try more antibiotics.
If you get poision ivy grab a piece of lead(metal) and put thread on it like a necklace, wear it around your neck and the poision ivy will go away.
For how long? lead poison? Do you know how does it work?
God, you people will believe anything just because somebody posted it on a site !