Dermatology Expert Forum
Cold Sore Scar

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cold Sore Scar
e42
I had a cold sore six weeks ago and a very noticeable pink blotch remains.  I need to put cover-up on it to go to work.  I'm worried that it won't go away, and am confused since all the info. I read online says that the blister heals w/in 20 days without leaving a scar.  I've been getting cold sores at a rate of about 1 every 2 years for the past 6 years.  The outbreaks in the past have been smaller and did not extend so far past the seam of lip.  They disappeared w/in 2 weeks.  This one extends very noticeably past the lip and the pink/red blotch has remained unchanged in appearance for the past 2 weeks.  I used abbreva for the first week and then stopped after the scab came off.  I have not been using anything since.  Is there anything I can do?
Not really, but the good news is that red marks left from inflammations like cold sores go away on their own if you leave them alone an give them enough time.  I don't know why this one is taking longer, but perhaps it was a more vigorous one than usual.  Sometimes clod sores triggered by sun exposure do that.  For the redness to fade may take another 4-8 weeks, but I doubt you'll have to use coverup after that.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, cold sore scar was started.
A related discussion, pink blotch/scar after cold sore -- infectious? was started.
A related discussion, Remaining Cold Sore was started.