Dermatology Expert Forum
Cold Sore transmission

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cold Sore transmission
Dr. Rockoff,

Over the years, I have been very, very careful when I have a cold sore not to kiss anyone until it has healed completely. The other day I kissed my wife (once) as I left for work. About an hour later I had an itchy, tingling feeling on my lip and knew I was getting a cold sore - I did shortly thereafter. I have heard all kinds of things dealing with asymptomatic shedding and being contagious a day before you actually get a cold sore etc. and was wondering if there is any validity to this? I am worried I might have given my wife the cold sore virus through that one kiss. Thank you for your answer.

Henry
It's possible, but still not likely.  Over the years, this has probably happened before--she's likely to already have been exposed to the virus.  In any case, there's nothing you can or need to do about it now.  I wouldn't be too concerned.  The incubation period is 5-10 days or so, by the way, so if it hasn't happened by then, you're in the clear.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I recently had sex with someone and about a week later had bumps appear on my penis and I had sore throat.  After consulting with the doctor I was quickly diagnosed with Herpes before I even dropped my paints.  I went to the lab and gave blood to be tested for AID
Thanks Dr. Rockoff - I guess I was under the assumption that you are contagious when you have the blisters and not before they appear, and then I read about this asymptomatic shedding which kind of scared me (after all it was just one quick kiss). It has been 5 days since I kissed her and no cold sore.

Henry