Dermatology Expert Forum
Cold Sore transmission
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cold Sore transmission

Dr. Rockoff,

Over the years, I have been very, very careful when I have a cold sore not to kiss anyone until it has healed completely. The other day I kissed my wife (once) as I left for work. About an hour later I had an itchy, tingling feeling on my lip and knew I was getting a cold sore - I did shortly thereafter. I have heard all kinds of things dealing with asymptomatic shedding and being contagious a day before you actually get a cold sore etc. and was wondering if there is any validity to this? I am worried I might have given my wife the cold sore virus through that one kiss. Thank you for your answer.

Henry
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
It's possible, but still not likely.  Over the years, this has probably happened before--she's likely to already have been exposed to the virus.  In any case, there's nothing you can or need to do about it now.  I wouldn't be too concerned.  The incubation period is 5-10 days or so, by the way, so if it hasn't happened by then, you're in the clear.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
3 Comments
Blank
I recently had sex with someone and about a week later had bumps appear on my penis and I had sore throat.  After consulting with the doctor I was quickly diagnosed with Herpes before I even dropped my paints.  I went to the lab and gave blood to be tested for AID
Blank
Thanks Dr. Rockoff - I guess I was under the assumption that you are contagious when you have the blisters and not before they appear, and then I read about this asymptomatic shedding which kind of scared me (after all it was just one quick kiss). It has been 5 days since I kissed her and no cold sore.

Henry
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank