Cold Sores and Nerve Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cold Sores and Nerve Pain

About 12 years ago when I was in my late teens I started having severe facial pain from time to time.  I would always go to the dentist because I thought I had an impacted tooth or something wrong with my teeth because the pain was so foreign to me.  Years later I got a fever blister (cold sore) while I was pregnant and the facial pain was excrutiating.  My OBGYN suggested going to a neuralagist.  After many visits to him he diagnosed me with atypical trigeminal neuralgia - atypical because the pain I described was exactly like TN but how long the pain lasted and when it came on isn't typical.   I have dealt with the pain on and off for all these years and I have started to notice the pain almost always comes after a "wound" - either a cold sore or inflammation in my mouth from brushing to hard.

Well here is the weird part - last week I was sick and got a fever blister.  I was so afraid my face would hurt but it didnt - thank goodness.  But 3 days ago I got a shiny red painful bump on my pinky finger.  It hurt and itched all at the same time.  By kids dr noticed it and noticed my fever blister and said I had a widlow.  I started taking augmentim to clear up the infection.  In the mean time the bump opened and blistered and now I have the exact same facial pain that I have had for 12 years in my arm!!  All the way up to my shoulder.  The pain is truly the exact same - an electric, hyper sensitive horrific pain.

My question is cold my "cold sores" actually be shingles and could I have post herpetic neuralgia??  Can you get a single shingle or does it have to be the "cluster rash".  I also want to tell you as a child I had a VERY mild case of chicken pox - maybe only 4 or 5 blisters.

I really don't know where to turn - anything would be helpful.  If you don't think it is shingles - can fever blisters be the cause of such facial pain??