Dermatology Community
Cold sores or not??
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cold sores or not??

So I've been getting cold sores my whole life and they were always the same big breakouts on my lips every few months but about 2 years ago I bought some H-Balm oil that is supposed to help treat and prevent outbreaks...So when I first started using it I went a good 5 months or so without a cold sore and when I got one it was not as big as usual so for me that was a success. I think I only had one other slight outbreak after that until last New Years where I kissed a girl and the next day noticed I started getting small cold sores under my lower lip/chin area which I've never experienced before. After this I constantly had tiny coldsores or what appeared to be cold sores on or around my lips, chin and nose for months and they seemed to never stop coming although they were almost unnoticable and looked like pimples except I noticed some had that yellowish fluid in them so figured they must be cold sores. The strange thing is I didnt breakout with any of my usual big obvious cold sores. So since then I've gotten these tiny bumps that seem to never go away, or come back within days or a couple weeks if I'm lucky. Wouldnt the virus become dormant eventually? And I only have gotten 1 real cold sore outbreak in that span of last New Years until this past October when I started using the H-Balm Daily and taking lysine which actually made me breakout with 2 huge cold sores but after that I went 6 months with no outbreaks and hardly any tiny bumps.
    Then all of a sudden I started noticing tiny bumps on my lips the same color as my lips especially when I drank alcohol on the weekends, but these weren't the fluid filled tiny pimple looking bumps around my mouth like last year, these feel pretty solid and rough when I rub my lips together and chapstick doesnt really help much. I just recently had a bad cold sore outbreak where I got 3 big cold sores one after another every 4 or 5 days and now that theyre all healed I notice these tiny bumps popping up again. I kissed another girl last weekend because its been 2 weeks so I figured I was healed and not contagious anymore but then the next day I noticed these little bumps again. Is this a coincidence this happens after I kiss someone? I've een friends with this girl for over 10 years and never seen her with a coldsore and now I'm afraid I might have infected her unknowingly, I haven't seen her since that night.
   Basically I would like to know what these tiny bumps are and why I never used to get them even though I've had the virus my whole life? Is it possible the virus could have mutated or something when I started using this new medicine causing my outbreaks to come out in different forms? I'm sorry for such a long post but I feel like my situation is complex and quite unique and I would really appreciate some feedback. I don't want to go my whole life being afraid to kiss someone or share a drink when I have seemingly no symptoms other than some tiny tiny bumps.
Thank You