Dermatology Expert Forum
Colored Mark on Forehead?? What could it be???

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hi, I have been meaning to get this checked for quite a while now. I am a light to medium skin toned 29 year old female that has been having this darker colored mark on the middle of my forehead for about 1-2 years now. It is about the size of a quarter and is smack in the middle of my forehead which is very cosmetically annoying. I was thinking it might be melasma that I heard about, so I stopped taking birth control pills now for the last 3 months. I took it before that for about 3 years, but am not currently on any meds of any kind.

The thing is that it comes and goes. I protect myself from the sun, but when I get alittle hot or am out in the sun, it appears or when I am tired as well I noticed. Those are the things that I know bring it out, but it is also there about 50% of the time. Also, the strange thing is that I think that it hurts once in a while and I am pretty sure it is not my imagination. Have you ever heard of this?

I thought it would go away if I stopped taking birth control pills, but it always seems to reappear. Also, one other thing, the melasma pics I have seen seem to be more pronounced or darker, this seems to be faint or under the skin? but noticeable because of location. and I do not have it anywhere else.

Thank you for any help you might lend, doc!
Melasma is usually more widespread.  You are too young to get an age or liver spot.  I am a little puzzled by your description  (such as "it is also there about 50% of the time.")  Discolorations can come and go, but they don't do that 50% of the time.

Whatever this is certainly isn't cancerous or dangerous in that way.

I think you will need to consult a dermatologist in person about this.  If the spot fluctuates as you say, you may want to take some good-quality photos to show the doctor in case it isn't there when you go.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, dark patches on my forehead was started.