Constant itching
I have a friend, who has had constant itching all over her body, for about 5years.
Doctors have so far been unable to find out what is causing the itch. She is on medication, that makes the itching manageable but it never goes away. Her arms and legs are covered with scars, because of the scratching, but she just can't control it anymore. I would really like to know if anybody has an idea on what it could be. She has been treated for allergies, but that does not seem to be what is causing it, since non of the medication she got for it, worked. Please let me know, if you have an idea about what this could be?

Thank, you!
One possibility that needs to be ruled out is of atopic dermatitis. Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment and pimecrolimus cream are also useful but they should be taken under prescription.

The other possibilities are of neuropathic itch and systemic diseases like thyroid disease, diabetes and liver disease. All these need to be ruled out.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.