Constantly peeling lips!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Constantly peeling lips!

Hello!! I have a lip problem!!! My lips peel 24/7!!!! It's like a cycle! One day they look fine the next day they look dry. The next day they start to peel, the fourth day is the worst then the 5 th day they look back to normal!!! Sometimes on the third day I rip the skin off where I either bleed of have very thin skin there but then on the 5 th day my lips look awesome again and the cycle starts again!!!
What could cause this?? And is there any cure?? I've tried all lip balms nothing works!!! I found out I have hvs1 which is cold sores buy a blood test. I never had a real cold sore, I was wondering of this could be because of hsv1? Please let me know what you think.., or if you have the same problem.
I have overly sensitive lips as well. If I'm not careful, they peel a LOT. Pretty much the same as your describing. They have ever since I can remember. They were like that *before* I contracted hsv1, *and after* . So, I really don't think it has anything to do with it.

I heard once that using *too* much lip balm is bad. I keep a tube of chapstick (name brand) in my pocket, and I try to use it only 2 - 3 times a day, and not too thick. And of course I try not to lick my lips.  I have found that just before I feel the need to apply the chapstick, I take the bottom of my shirt cuff, and kind of  GENTALLY rub the most loose skin off my lips, seems to help.  Also, I once discovered that using medicated chapstick is worse than normal chapstick. I suppose my lips are so sensitive that medicated lip balms only aggravate my lips.

In my opinion (and I'm no doctor) it's just how we were born. I've never found any disease that this could be linked to.
I have had this problem, too, and I'm negative for HSV-1, so if it's the same as my problem, it isn't that.  I found that using a soft toothbrush and warm water and GENTLY brushing my lips, and then applying Aquaphor or Vaseline (instead of lip balms or Chapstick) works.  It's best to apply it before going to bed, because cells repair themselves at night.  Also, if your bedroom is very dry, using a humidifier might help too.  Try this for a week and it should help.  Good luck!
Hmmm,   I'll have to give that a try.  I'm not sure how gentle of a toothbrush you have, but as I'm getting ready to buy a new one... my old one should suffice.

I've never heard of Aquaphor, I looked up their website, they do seem very reputable.  Thank you for the tip, I'll give it a shot.    ^.^
Ok cool!! But isn't it extremely annoying!!! Like my lips never really look normal!! I try extra hard to not pick at it!! But yesterday I caugh myself picking and now I have cuts on my lips from it! Ugh... Crazy thing is the cuts never turn into cold sores... I heard that some ppl get cold sores if they cut their lip...
Idk but it suxs!! I have noticed that if I make myself not bite chew or pick at my lips while it's peeling THEN it peels normally without any cuts... But ofcourse I'm impatient and I rip the skin off along with good skin... Ouch...