Dermatology Community
Contact Dermatitis?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
Blank Blank

Contact Dermatitis?

I need a second opinion.  For about 2 months now I have had a rash on my face, left cheek.  I really have no idea what the cause is.  The rash gets inflamed every other week, then goes away.  It starts with small, itchy, red bumps, and it starts to inflame fairly quickly.  When at it's worst, the rash is really red, inflamed, very sensitive, a lot of clear, yellow liquid discharge, and less itch.  Also, it does not or has not spread.  To treat it, I tried aloe vera gel, but mostly neosporin cream and jojoba oil.  With this treatment, the rash would slowly go away.  I continued to apply treatment even when the rash was gone, but it would still break out again.

So I went to the doctor yesterday.
Diagnosis: Contact dermatitis.
Prescription: clobetasol propionate ointment usp 0.05

I just want a second opinion.
Also, why does the rash come and go?
Related Discussions
  • help me (1 replies):
    i got a face rashes due to old cinthol soap
  • skin redness (1 replies):
    red skin under eyebrow hair, never dry or itchy, flares ...[more]
  • dermatology (1 replies):
    Had a chemical peel 10% about 2 weeks ago. Suffering wi...[more]
  • female, 47y. (1 replies):
    Had a chemical peel 10% abt 2 weeks ago, went this week...[more]
  • itchy face (1 replies):
    my face has been itchy for more than a week all day long...[more]
2 Comments Post a Comment
563773 tn?1374250139
Contact dermatitis is the first possibility that comes to mind. Irritant dermatitis, the most common type of contact dermatitis, involves inflammation resulting from contact with acids, alkaline materials such as soaps and detergents, cosmetics, or other chemicals.

Avoid using any lotions and creams over the face for the meantime. Wash your face with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat your face dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves.If the symptoms still persist then you can apply the steroid cream that your dermatologist has prescribed.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar f tn
Don't waste your time asking dermatologists. They are useless.
Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
Top Dermatology Answerers
209987 tn?1451939065
1340994 tn?1374197577
Raleigh, NC
4851940 tn?1385441629
United Kingdom