Corona (of The Glans(glands) Penis) swelling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I am a 26 year old male and have been in a monogamous relationship with the same girl for 3 months now and we always have protected sex.

For a while i was feeling a burning sensation in my pubic area as well as the base of my penis and inside my urethra (no pain in urination). I was worried it was herpes and went to a doctor and she said it just dermatitis and prescribed me anti-biotic pills for my urethra (doxycycl) and anti-fungal cream for my pubic area (clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropiponate). This seemed to do the trick.

Recently like 2 days ago, a noticed some swelling around the corona area of my penis head. It makes a puffy horseshoe ring about .5 cm around the top my penis head and circles off and tapers towards my urethra opening. It wasnt sore at all when i first noticed it, but now it does kinda bother me and it seems to have turned a little purple. Im pretty sure i dont have an STD (at least i hope not), I was tested when i initially felt any burning sensation and went to the doctor again for further diagnosis and she said it was just an infection.

Any idea what i might have?

Could the be the result of bacteria or some kind of infection or dermatitis of some kind and if so... should i treat this with the cream i was prescribed?

Could it be from having lots of sex ( we have pretty vigorous sex at least once everyday)?

Is this some kind of STD like herpes?

How should i treat this?

(p.s. i had diagnosed with hpv about 5 years ago... no symptoms in 4 years)

i am very worried

thanks in advance,

-Chuck
As I have told you earlier, lichen planus is an important possibility. Other than that it is important to get a complete STD panel test done to rule out any STD. If it is painless, it can be a thrombosed penile vein, , a sebaceous cyst or Mondor’s disease(less likely). I suggest you to consult a urologist and get it examined.

In Mondor’s disease, there’s inflammation of the superficial veins of the penis and one of the commonest causes of the same is vigorous sexual activity. Abstinence from sexual activity is important.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Im sorry i havent gotten back to you in so long, i wanted to see a physician first to give you a accurate description of whats going on. The doctor first asked me if i had a full STD panel test including HIV/AIDS done... which i had aside from a herpes test (i have no symptoms.. no horrible painful sores, ulcers or puss-filled bumps that would suggest herpes). He went on to exam my penis and said that he could see no swelling out of ordinary and that my burning/dull pain around my corona and elsewhere was most likely do to trauma or a contusion do to my overactive sex life. He, like my girlfriend, thinks im overly obsessing about penis... and that most my problems seem to be manifested mentally (i do seem to have issues when im stressed out or nervious)

I excepted his diagnosis because ive noticed the "swelling" of my corona has nether gotten larger or smaller since i noticed it about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and i wonder if this is how its always looked, and that im only noticing it now due to anxiety and constantly examing my penis

... but around my corona, it still feels sensitive and at times mildly painful, and the base of my penis and very tip of my urethra still kinda burn occasionally.

I didnt ask... but could this be a reaction to the condoms ive been using... i never had this problem before with my last girlfriend who was on the pill and we never used a condom.

And what do you think of his diagnosis? Should i take some benadryl  to see if there are any changes and take it easy on the sex for a while?

Should i get a second opinion?

THanks so much... you been a great help

-Chuck