Dermatology Expert Forum
Cortisone Shot Reaction

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cortisone Shot Reaction

In May of this year, I was given a cortisone shot in my left wrist by an Ortho Surgeon because of Dequervain's tendonitis.  I had been in pain for months following the birth of my baby.  A few weeks after the shot, the pain was gone but a small, red rectangular mark showed up at the injection site.  Around the same time, I found out I was pregnant again.  I returned to the doctor and showed him my wrist.  He said it was a normal reaction and would eventually go away.  

It is now six months later, and I am five months pregnant.  The mark has not gone away; it has actually gotten worse.  I recently went to the doctor again because it was getting painful in the heat such as when I took a shower or washed the dishes.  Again, he said that was normal.  He did say I would always know it was there, but other people would eventually not be able to see it.  He said that my being pregnant may have worsened it and having the baby could relieve it.  

In just the last week, it has started burning and growing.  It is no longer just on my wrist; it appears to be moving toward my hand and under my wrist. It is now approximately three inches long by 1 inch wide and purplish in color.  There is a definite indentation in my skin, although it is slight.    

I am baffled.  If it's a reaction to the cortisone, I don't understand why it is occurring six months later.  Until recently, it was just an eyesore but now it is hurting.  I saw a regular family physician this week who said it could continue to grow and burn, but he's never seen it larger than a tennis ball, and it should get better with time.

The ortho surgeon hopes that it gets better when I have the baby.  But, for now, it is only getting worse.  Any ideas?  Is there anything I can do to stop the growth?  Can I put something on it?  Does it sound like I'll have to live with this forever?  I really appreciate your time and thoughts.  I really regret that shot, although I was given only the shot or surgery as options after more conservative treatments failed.  I thought I was making the right decision.

Thanks so much.
Tags: cortisone, reaction, Dermatology, Baby, Pain, get better
Cortisone injections can cause indentation, which lasts up to six months and goes away.  It can cause red blood vessels too.

Neither of these seems to match what yoiu're describing.  I have no idea what this is, but it sure doesn't sound like a courtisone reaction, which would not in any case get larger months later.

If I were you, I would see a skin doctor, who can probably tell you what you have and what to do about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

I saw a dermatologist today.  He said it is indeed Kenalog-induced atrophy and will correct itself over the next 2 - 3 years.  He said the color should also get better.  So, does it sound like I should be hopeful?
Yes.  As he told you, cortisone reactions respond slowly but surely.

Dr. Rockoff