Dermatology Expert Forum
Cortisone injection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Cortisone injection

Dear Dr. Rockoff,
I posted a question about intralesional injections into acne cysts and atrophy that occured. As per your answer, the indentations have begun to fill in (thank you). Approximately two and half months ago, I received an injection from a doctor who said that if the solution is diluted enough, and that there is not an over abundance of solution injected, I should not experience atropy.  The shot did not result in atrophy; it did, however, leave a small bump that recently turned into a very hard, medium size bump.  I went to see my doctor, and I voiced my fears about atrophy, and showed him the areas that are filling in, and told him that this was injected 2 1/2 months ago. He said that he will really dilute the solution. Since the bump has been there forever and I voiced my concerns, I agreed. After he injected me, he said that he just gave the bump a small squirt to avoid atrophy. I have had a total of six injections, and only two atrophied (the two that atrophied was done by the same doctor, and the other areas that were fine were done by different doctors).  Do you feel that my chances are good that the shot will not result in atrophy, and how long does it take to know if the area will atrophy (I can not remember how soon I noticed that the previous ones sunk)?  I figure if the waiting time is a couple of weeks, I can relax when I surpass the common time frame. Thank you very much.
Usually atrophy will be obvious by 3-4 weeks.

The dilution should make atrophy very unlikely, as your doctor said.  Hard bumps donm't respond as well, however, as acute, red cysts.  Maybe you should just let the bump alone so your body can reabsorb it.  Ask your doctor about this.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
To anyone who received a cortisone injection in the face that "caved in"---How long did it actually take for the tissue/skin to heal itself? Did anyone get a collagen injection to attempt to remedy the problem? Just wondering as I am greatly disturbed by such a shot...
I received a cortison injections into 2 cystic acne on my face approximately 2 months ago.  One caved in and the other was fine and healed properly.  I am really concerned about the injection site that caved in.  Will the skin regenerate?  How long will it take for my skin to fill in?  If anyone had this happen to them, how long did it take you for your skin to heal?  Thank you for your help.  Sarah