Dermatology Expert Forum
Could I have given my baby oral herpes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Could I have given my baby oral herpes

I have been getting reocurring coldsores about 5 in the last six months I had 3 while pregnant and at least 2 since I had my son in December 05. I seem to be getting them every two months or so. Prior to that it was annually for the last 5 years.

After having a cold for about 5 days I noticed a small lump on the centre of my top lip. It was raised slightly and when I looked in the mirror I could see reddness and a little swelling where I could feel the blister with my tongue. I had no tingling, burning sensation or stinging I just found the blister by accident after running my tongue over my lip. I have no idea how long it was there as I had no warning.

My concern is I kissed my 5 1/2 month old son and 2 and 1/2 year old son on the forehead and cheek prior to relising I had the blister forming. I kiss my son on the forehead at 2 times each time he goes down to sleep which 3 times during the day and once at night. So I have at least kissed him over a 12 occasions eith on the forehead (mainly) and the occasional cheek while playing with him.

As I get cold sores I have nevered kissed my kids on the lips as I never know when I am going to get one. But I always kiss them on the forehead or head as I thought the virus could not be transmitted through these areas.

Could I have passed the herpes virus to my sons? If I have when can I expect to see any sores as I would like treat them asap? If so will the sores appear on his forehead or cheek and not the mouth.

The second thing is I am asthmatic and I took a puff of my ventolin inhaler 2 nights before the blister appeared and about 20 minutes later my husband gave it to my 5 1/2 month old to play with. The ventolin inhaler did not have a lid on it and he licked it briefly before I realised and took it off him.

Could he have picked up the virus through the contact with dry saliva left on the mouth piece of the ventolin (which is what he licked)?

I would hate to think I have passed on the herpes virus after being so careful not to pass it to kids. I really thought it was safe to kiss on the forehead or cheek.

I have not kissed either of my sons since I noticed the blister but was the damage already done.

Am I being neurotic and over reacting.

Thanks.
The chances of passing it on through an object like an inhaler is very small.  I would disregard it.  As to spreading it through a kiss: First of all, I'm not sure that your "blister" is necessarily a herpes lesion.  Even if it is, it would be very hard to transfer the virus before the lesion erupted.  Maybe not impossible, but very unlikely.  In general, if you avoid kissing your children or husband when there's nothing to be seen on your lips, that's all the precaution you need to take.  The only perfect precaution is never to kiss anyone, which I hope you'll agree is not worth consideration.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi, Just to add I usually get them in the corner of the mouth and always on the same spot.The first time I got it was ***** and yukky and took a while to heal (two weeks) since then they have only been one spot in the corner. This time I also have only one blister and no other spots. Soon as I see them I treat them with alchol wipes which dries it out. I got it on Wednesday and by Saturday there was no swelling and now have a tiny spot with new skin growth and just about gone. They usually last no longer than 3 days if I treat this way.

Thanks sorry for the extra info forgot to mention when I wrote original question.

Sorry I post the addition twice. The stars are replacing the word pus. Thanks.
Sores in the corner of the mouth are usually angular stomatitis, a rash not related to herpes.  I think you need to show them to a doctor when one is fresh, so you can find out for sure whether you have herpes at all.

Dr. Rockoff
I believe my mother gave my 11 month old son a fever blister.  She says she had no symptoms prior to a break out.  She watched my son on a thursday and a sunday.  On that monday (following sunday) I found a red spot with a whitish center that appeared to be oral herpes.  How long before the blister can someone be contageous.  I just don't want to pass it to other children as to I don't want to upset any other parents.  We were upset about him getting it because now we will have to keep him from interecting with other children since he is at the age of everything goes in the mouth.  What should we do?  When we go to our friends house, he wants to play with the other childrens toys and they go straight in the mouth.  What other concerns should we have with a 11 month old who now has oral herpes.  What are the odds of it spreading to or around the eyes in which I have read about.  We know if he was older it wouldn't be a big deal, but with him being less than a year, we just don't know.  Thank you for your time and help.

A related discussion, Could I have given my baby oral herpes on her back? was started.