Dermatology Expert Forum
Could the sun cause a swollen face?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Could the sun cause a swollen face?

My question is on the sun and if an allergic reaction can cause my whole face to swell up.  In March on was in the carribbean on vacation and one day my face got a little sun burnt and it did feel like I had a prickly feeling in my cheeks.  The next night my forehead swelled up and then the next morning my eyes, cheeks, etc.  Between my eyes, over the top of my nose was about 2 inches wide and you couldn't even see my eyelashes, my eyes were so swollen.  I was almost unrecognizable and went to the doctor and got a shot and some pills.  I also have had a severe sinus infection I can't get ride of (if that has any connection).  I just figured it was the sun.  Again, around the 4th of July, I got a little sunburnt on my shoulders and a little pink on my face.  My eyelids were swollen and were really swollen below my eyebrows.  I still figured maybe it was the sun.  So I went to the doctor to see if he could confirm this for me and he said he didn't think it was from the sun.  An eye doctor also told me he didn't think it the sun either.  I haven't changed makeup, food or anything I can possibly think of that could give me this allergice reaction.  The doctor thinks it may be contact dermititis.  I do not get any rash and it does not itch, only swelling occurs.  Any thoughts on what it going on?  I appreciate any suggestions or comments you have.

Mary
Mary:

I'm puzzled by your description.  The puffiness around the eyes certainly does not sound like a sun reaction to me either.  You may be having hives, which in many cases is not al allergy to anything in particular.  I would use bland products like Dove or Neutrogena and see a dermatologist for definitive evaluation.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Sorry for the appalling spelling mistakes on my message ~ I was hurrying as my Internet link is a bit dodgy today!
My 16 yo daughter has this problem and it is the sun! She first got it at the end of May this year when we went to Portugal for Irish Dancing Championships ~ we were only there 3 days and luckily she had comteted before the swelling appeared on the last day. She has got it now for the second time after an hour or two in the garden. She is not burnt but has some colour. It starts asa V-shape swelling between the eyebrows up the forehead. Then it slowly it sinks down ocross her knows/ eyes/ cheeks. She ends up looking like an alien as her eyes are pushed so far apart. This is day 2 and it is across her forehead and eyes now. It'll take another 2 days to go and she will hide away until then. I have asked her try to high factor cream and avoid sun on her face ~ but she is a teenager so can't promise she'll do this!

Cheers
Joan
A related discussion, swollen face from the sun was started.
A related discussion, Sun was started.
A related discussion, Similar Reaction was started.