Cracked skin side of nose/nostrils

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cracked skin side of nose/nostrils

I've had dried, cracked skin on the outside corners of my nostrils for months. I've tried petroleum jelly, lotion, hydrocortisone, and a anti-itch cream, but nothing is making it go away!

ALL my life I've had pretty oily skin, but in the last few months its almost completely dried up. I've stopped using my scrub cleanser on my face, because I figured that kept rubbing away new skin growth in that area. That didn't work, so I stopped using my "zit" cream I've used for years, that hasn't helped...and in fact I'm getting completely broken out like NEVER before. I do have PCOS so I don't know if this is a new aspect to it all of the sudden mixed with the fact that I'm now 30. I have no idea...

All I know is I NEED to get this nose thing fixed. It HURTS. and looks terrible, and when I try to wear makeup it just looks awful.

Any suggestions on what to try on the sides of my nose?
Tags: nose, cracked, Dry, Skin
As we age,our skin drys up...not that you are old mind you...I am. lol

Avoid water like the plague...unless you are drinking it. Showers are better than baths. Pat your skin dry after showering. Water is actually more harmful to dry skin than you can imagine.
Dry oatmeal based soaps or lye soaps.
Avoid harsh chemicals...the kind found in most soaps, lotions, etc.
The PCOS could have made this worse...but it's hard to say.
You would need to see a doctor to rule out eczema, psoriasis, cancer, diabetes, etc.
This cracked skin can be due to seborrheic dermatitis. It is usually caused by overgrowth of Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates and is aggravated by sweating and humidity.

Topical antifungals and mild steroids are the usual treatment and combination of the two can be used to treat stubborn patches. Oral antifungal drugs and immunomodulators such as tacrolimus and pimecrolimus are used in very severe cases. The other possibilities are of eczema, lupus erythematosus or dermatitis. Best would be to consult a dermatologist and get biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.