Cracked thumbs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cracked thumbs

Just recently my thumbs  have become cracked and are very sore, I've never had this problem before and I don't know what to do to releive the pain and cure the problem.

Can you suggest a treatment and could you tell me what has caused it.

J

Oh Jan, I can sympathize - this happens to a few people in our family.  I think its a "dry skin" issue with some over exposure to harsh cleaning chemicals or just plain old too much time in water.  The best treatment is to use bag balm (usually available at farm supply stores), or some product heavy in lanolin.  Slather it on and wrap it in plastic wrap at night.  If you keep it soft it will hurt less.  My brother in law swears by crazy glue but it stings a lot and although you only use a bit, I'm concerned about long term usage.  My sister-in-law uses the plastic wrap method but uses a glaxo base which is cheap and easy to find at almost any pharmacy.   And there is a new product you can get now that runners use on blisters, called "new skin" or some derivative of it.  Its a gelly like bandage that might have some antibiotic in it and stays on really well, assisting the skin in healing.   Again, my sympathies, I've see my husband's poor thumbs bleeding and the cracks are so deep and painful!  Hope you get some relief.