Dermatology Community
Cracking, peeling skin on palm & fingers, one hand
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cracking, peeling skin on palm & fingers, one hand

For eight or nine years I have had a progressing condition with the skin on the palm and fingers of my left hand only.  It started with a very small, dry, blister-like patch of dry, cracking, peeling skin in the center of the pad on the end of my index finger, and over time has slowly spread down that finger to my palm, thumb, middle finger and has begun to move up my ring finger.  There is a somewhat visible line between the affected area of my palm and the unaffected skin, which shows the condition has also progressed to the base of my pinkie finger, and covers roughly 2/3 of my palm.  The condition produces hard, dry, considerably less pliable skin that will crack (and bleed) with very little provocation, and which peels in small strips and sections.  Fingertips are especially susceptible to cracking and bleeding, and the skin there is quite hard and rough.  The skin does not seem to repair itself as does the skin on my right hand.  Hand lotions have no effect on the condition, and I have even tried applying Bag Balm (covered with a latex glove) on the entire hand over a course of several consecutive nights with no effect on any of the symptoms (other than a very temporary-- 30 mins-- softening of the skin).  When my hands are cold, the affected area is significantly more red than the unaffected area.  I am a left-handed baseball pitcher, and this condition affects my ability to throw effectively, due to crack-prone index and middle fingertips.  Might someone have some good insight into an effective treatment for this ongoing condition?  Thank you so much.